Name of Medical Problem: Medial Epicondylitis and Rotator Cuff Tendinopathy
Ayurveda Term: Kandarashrita Vata
Background and Description:
A 33-year-old young and cheerful Hindu Priest in a local Hindu temple presented with severe pain and swelling in the right elbow and right shoulder which severely restricted his hand movements. He was seen by GP and NHS consultant and had several physiotherapy sessions along with the usual staple of pain killers with no significant benefit.
Signs and Symptoms:
Pain: +++ (8/10 on VAS)
Swelling: ++ with erythema
Marked muscular atrophy
Movements: Restricted- reduced flexion and extension of the left elbow, reduced adduction and abduction in the left shoulder joint.
Investigations: X-ray and MRI- unremarkable.
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments
- Kaishore Guggul 2 tablets twice a day along with 20ml Maharasnadi Kashaya was given twice a day after meals.
- Mahamanjisthadi Kashaya Tablets – 2 tablets with warm water twice a day
- Local massage with Choorna Pinda Sweda (Ayurvedic hot bag massage) x 10 sessions
- Upanaha (poultice) with special Ayurvedic powders x 10 days
- Ekang Dhara with Pinda Tailam (local application of warm oil on the affected hand) x 7 days
Pain reduced to a minimum level- 3/10 by the 5th session and completely cured by the 9th session. The swelling was completely reduced by the 6th session. The range of movement vastly improved and came back to normal by the 10th session. Complete remission by the 10th session. The patient was given a set of Yoga postures and exercises to follow an internal medication to continue for further 3 months. No relapse in 3 monthly follow-ups.