Shiro Taila Dhara is a specialized Ayurvedic therapy used to treat various ailments like anxiety, depression, stress, all kinds of skin diseases (psoriasis, eczema, leukoderma, dermatitis, pigmentation, urticaria, etc.), systemic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, thyroid disorders, various types of headaches such as migraine, tension headache, etc., hair fall, dandruff, alopecia, neurological disorders such as parkinsonism, paralysis, bell’s palsy, etc., insomnia, hormonal disorders such as PCOD, male and female infertility.
“SHIRO” means head, “TAILA” means medicated oil and “DHARA” means pouring. Shiro Taila Dhara is a process in which medicated oil is poured over the forehead maintaining a specific height, rhythm, and temperature, performed by one or two qualified therapists, which is being systematically prescribed by an Ayurvedic consultant.
- It prevents headache (Shira shoola)
- It prevents baldness (Khalityam)
- It prevents premature greying of hair (Paalityam)
- It prevents hair fall (Kesha prapatana)
- Stabilizeses and fortifies Ojas in the body (Ojas is the essence of all the tissues formed as an end product of tissue formation, its normalcy in terms of quality and quantity points towards an established immunity) (Ojo sthairyam)
- Soothes the nerves and improves blood circulation
- Removes stress, relaxes the mind
- Improves neuro-muscular conduction
- Relaxes and rejuvenates the mind and senses (Paatavam indriyasya)
- Delays aging (Jaraso maandhyam)
- Provides longevity of life (Chiram jeevitam)
- Controls and creates equilibrium in all the doshas (Nitaraam dosha)
- Acts as an aphrodisiac (Vrishataa)
30 TO 40 MIN
The treatment duration depends on the consulting physician and the severity of the condition.
Treatment Course Duration
7 days, 14 days, 21 days
The treatment course duration depends on the consulting physician and the severity of the condition.
Mode of Action of Shirodhara
The mode of action of Taila Shiro Dhara is attributed to:
- Therapeutic effects of the medicated oil which is used as a base of the medicine,
- Procedural effects of the process like pressure, rhythmic streaming,
- Local application of heat,
- Treatment timings
The movement the procedure starts the drug starts its action due to its rhythmic streaming, the pressure of the medicine, and temperature, because of the increased temperature generated by the treatment, the vasodilatation happens and helps the medicine to penetrate through the follicular pores to the follicles and then to the dermis via the sebaceous glands, the permeability of the cell of the sebaceous glands is greater than that of the granular layer of the epidermis.
The procedural effect helps in relaxation of the frontalis muscle which tends to normalize the entire body activity and achieves a decreased activity of the sympathetic nervous system with lowering of heart rate, respiration, oxygen consumption, blood pressure, brain cortisones and adrenalin levels, muscle tension and probably increase in alpha brain waves.
The space between the two eyebrows is the seat of the pituitary and pineal gland (Agnya Chakra). The pituitary gland is one of the main glands of the endocrine system and exhibits its action on other organs.
- Skin diseases
- Degenerative eye disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Sexual disorders
- Tinnitus hearing loss
- Hair fall