Name of Medical Problem: Ankylosing spondylitis
Ayurveda Term: Malavabandh
Background and Description:
A 55 year old man working as a Software Engineer came to see us to help solve his chronic constipation problem which he had been suffering from last 42 years. His constipation was so severe that he only used to go toilet once a week despite the laxatives given by his GP. He was seen in the NHS, seen by a gastroenterologist and had numerus tests to understand the cause. He also had Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment in India which also did not help him.
He came to see us if we could help him in his seemingly unsurmountable problem.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Severe constipation- Hard, pallet-type stool, Grade 1 or 2 Bristol Stool Scale
- Frequency- 1 or 2 times a week
- Severe straining+
- Occasional per rectal bleeding
- Occasional pain in the abdomen,
- Weight loss, loss of appetite, very dry and fluffy skin
Investigations: abdominal scan- normal, blood tests- normal
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments. The treatment line was to carry out Panchakarma (detoxification) treatments followed by internal medications.
The recommended Panchakarma programme included 8 day Yoga Basti.
- Arogyavardhini- 2 tablets twice a day before meals.
- Chirubilwadi Kashaya – 20ml + 40ml warm water, twice a day before meals.
- Sukumar Ghrita- 15ml with warm water, 2 x times a day after meals
- Yoga Basti x 8 days
Patient started passing stools normally after 3rd basti session itself, his appetite improved significantly, frequency and consistency of the stools became normal by the 8th session. He was followed up in the clinic for another month. He suffered no constipation 4 years after the basti treatment.