Hemiparesis or Stroke
Name of Medical Problem: Hemiparesis or Stroke
Ayurveda Term: Pakshaghat
Background and Description:
A 48-year-old Sri Lankan man from Hertfordshire came to us after having stroke 6 months previously. He suffered a brain haemorrhage causing him right-sided weakness (hemiparesis, paralysis, or stroke). He was admitted to the local NHS hospital and underwent treatment for a stroke from which he recovered partially and was advised to continue with physiotherapy in the community. Even after 6 months, he still had a lot of weakness on the right side, slurred speech, and other complications. He came to us to seek alternative treatment for his paralysis.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Right-sided weakness- ++
- Power in right arm and leg- 3/5
- Right wrist drop, stiffness ++ in right legs and calves and arm
- Slurred speech
- Cognition, orientation- normal
- Blood pressure- normal, Sr cholesterol- normal
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments.
- Pranava Ayurveda Pakshaghat Choorna: 1 teaspoonful with ghee and honey, 2 x times a day
- Dhanadanayanadi Kashaya: 20ml + 60ml warm water, 2 x times a day after meals
- Dashamoolarishta: 15ml + 45ml warm water, 2 x times a day after meals
- Anu Tailam Nasya: 4 drops each nostril, 2 x times a day
- Full Body Massage with Pinda Sweda- 4 sessions
- Sarvanga Dhara (Pizhichil) with Dhanwantar Thailam- 10 sessions
- Dashmooladi Niruha Basti + Shatavhadi Anuvasan Basti- 16 days
The stiffness in the patient’s legs and arm was completely reduced in 4 sessions with Pinda Sweda. With the Pizhichil sessions, he started to build some power in his affected legs and arms which helped him to move about and do the light exercises we recommended.
After 16 days of Basti, the patient improved significantly, was able to walk with the walking stick, was able to sit and get up on his own, and improved his general quality of life significantly.