Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Ayurveda term: Vataja Grahani
Background and Description
A 52 years old man came to see us for his irritable bowel syndrome which he had suffering for almost 18 years. He had numerous tests to find out causes but no specific cause was found. Patient lost a lot of weight, had hair fall and other issues.
Having seen another Ayurvedic doctor in London which made his problem, he came to see us for a lasting relief from the problem.
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain in the abdomen++ especially after eating,
- Abdominal bloating +++
- Hiccoughs after eating food, GERD
- Constipation/ loose motions-
- Anxiety/ stress++
- Weight loss- about 12kg
- Hair fall ++, dry eyes
Investigations: Abdominal ultrasound scan- normal, food allergy tests- normal, colonoscopy- normal
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments. The treatment line was to carry out Panchakarma (detoxification) treatments followed by internal medications.
- Pranava Ayurveda Special Agni Deepak Choorna– 5gm with ghee, twice a day before meals.
- Hingu Thrigun Thailam– 10ml in ½ warm milk, twice a day after meals
- Panchakolasava– 15ml + 45ml warm water, twice a day after meals
- Medicated Buttermilk– 1 litre/day
- Yoga Basti– 16 days with Dasamool Niruha and Shatavhadi Anuvasana
- Full Body Massage with Shirodhara – 10 days
Patient’s symptoms greatly reduced in within 2 weeks of treatment, pain in abdomen, bloating reduced considerably. Appetite improved a lot. Was able to digest milk and milk products. Bowel motions improved and became regular. Hairfall and anxiety disappeared. Hiccough stopped completely.