Leucorrhoea (White Discharge)
Name of Medical Problem: Leucorrhoea (White Discharge)
Ayurveda term: Shweta Pradar
Background and Description:
A 38-year-old woman came to us with a chronic complaint of leucorrhoea or frequent white discharges. The patient was suffering white discharges 20-22 days a month. Had frequent Urinary Tract Infections and associated symptoms. The patient had lost a lot of weight and her sexual life was hampered due to this.
She was treated by NHS GP for possible fungal and bacterial infections and had blood tests for fungal and bacterial infections which came back negative. Had sonography and X-rays to rule out other diagnoses but came back negative.
She came to us to see if Ayurveda could help with her condition.
Signs and Symptoms:
- White discharges- clear/ pearly white, no foul smelling, thick and copious- typically commence on day 5 or 6 of the menses.
- Consumption of sugar or foods with high carbohydrates/ starch would trigger her discharge
- Stress and lack of sleep would induce white discharges
- No candidiasis or thrush
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments.
- Pushyanug Choorna: 1 teaspoonful powder with 1 teaspoonful of honey and ½ cup rice-washed water
- Haridrakhanda- 1 teaspoonful with warm water, 3 x times a day after meals
- Ashokarishta- 20ml + 60ml warm water, 2 x times a day after meals
- Yoni Dhawan with Nyagrodhadi Gana Kashaya- 8 days
- Yoni Pichu with Jatyadi Tailam- local tampon x 4 days after menses
Yoni Dhawan helped with cleansing the vaginal canal and detoxifying the area. This helped with a significant reduction in the white discharges in the first month itself.
The patient followed up with regular Yoni Dhawan for 8 months. The patient was slowly re-introduced to carbs and sugar which did not trigger her white discharges.
Other associated symptoms such as insomnia and stress also improved over time.