Name of Medical Problem: Liver Cirrhosis
Ayurveda term: Vataja Yakrut Roga
Background and Description
The daughter of a 65-year-old man came to us to seek advice about her father’s cirrhosis of liver. A chronic liver failure patient, he was admitted to the hospital for a stroke attack. Once discharged, the patient came to see us for advice.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Refractory ascites
- Parietal haematoma
- Left pleural effusion
- Swelling on legs and ankles
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal bloating +++
- Chronic alcoholism
Investigations: Blood tests- abnormal liver function tests. Ultrasound scans showed cirrhotic liver and splenomegaly.
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments. The treatment line was to carry out Panchakarma (detoxification) treatments followed by internal medications.
- Punarnavashtak Kashaya– 20ml diluted in 60ml warm water, 3 times a day.
- Kumaryasava- 15ml + 45ml warm water, twice a day after meals
- Shiva Gutika- 2 chewable tablets chewed with ½ cup pomegranate juice, 4 times a day
- Mridu Virechana- 20ml Castor oil, at night
- Completely liquid diet comprising of medicated soups, juices, and decoctions
- Punarnavadi Yapan Basti– 16 days with Punarnavashtak Kwatha Niruha and Pippalyadi Anuvasana
Month one follow-up: Patient’s symptoms greatly reduced in 2 weeks- swelling on legs and ankles reduced by 50%, abdominal girth reduced. Symptoms of jaundice reduced a lot. He started developing an appetite and e, was able to digest small amounts of milk, and solid foods.
Month 3 follow-up: Symptoms further improved, ascites further improved- started responding to tapping. Jaundice went away.
Had a few admissions in the hospital in the meantime for paracentesis of ascites
Month 6 follow-up: Ascites still present but responsive to tapping, laboratory markers of liver damage improved. Diet normal. Stroke symptoms improved- slurred speech/incoherence markedly improved.
The patient carried on with the internal medication for another 6 months. After 12 months, cirrhotic changes were reversed.