Name of Medical Problem: Eczema
Ayurveda Term: Vicharchika
Background and Description:
A 45-year-old software engineer from Kerala approached us with his chronic eczema which he had suffering from for 10+ years. He developed eczema in childhood as a reaction to medicines he was given for his asthma and the symptoms never went away although they came and go intermittently. Having tried treatment in the NHS for years as well as from a private dermatologist in the UK which only gave him temporary relief, he sought to see us for a long-term solution.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Dry, large, and raised eczematous patches all over his body
- Itching +++, no oozing/ discharge, erythema (reddening of skin) ++,
- Secondary bacterial infections (due to scratching the skin)
- EASI Score- 56
- Varicose veins, swelling on legs and ankles
- Chronic constipation, insomnia, stress ++
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments.
- Pranava Ayurveda Rakta Shuddhi Choorna: 1 teaspoonful powder with 1 teaspoon Aragwadha Mahatiktak Ghrita, 2 x times a day with
- Maha Manjishthadi Kashaya: 20ml + 60ml warm water, 2 x times a day after meals
- Khadirarishta– 15ml + 45ml warm water, 2 x times a day after meals
- Lippu Oil– external application
- Virechana with A K Vati + Haritakyadi Kwath 50ml
- Sarvanga Takradhara with Amalaki + Nimba+ Daru Haridra+ Musta Siddha Takra- 14 days
Virechana helped with rapid detoxification and there was immediate relief in symptoms mainly itching and redness of the skin. The patient’s bowel movements became normal, appetite improved. At one month’s follow-up, the itching had completely disappeared, and eczematous plaques were reduced by 70%. The patient was able to sleep better as itching did not wake him up. At 3 months follow up the skin was totally clear, with no itching or any other symptoms.