Poly Cystic Ovarian Symptom (PCOS)
Name of Medical Problem: Poly Cystic Ovarian Symptom (PCOS)
Ayurveda term: Kaphaja Yoni Vyapad
Background and Description
A 32 years old young woman came with persistent pain in the abdomen and pelvic area, irregular periods, unexplained weight gain, hirsutism (unwanted body hair), adult acne, and general tiredness. She had ultrasound tests and blood tests that confirmed the presence of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). She was seen by the NHS consultants and was prescribed medication that wasn’t much effective. She was given a surgical option of wedge resection of ovaries which she rejected due to associated risks.
She came to us to explore natural and safe alternatives.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Rotterdam PCOS criteria: positive
- Persistent abdominal pain- ++, irregular periods,
- Weight- 88kg (increased by 20kg in last 2.5 years), occasional shortness of breath
- Low back and knee pain++
- Diabetes mellitus- on oral Metformin tablets,
- Hypothyroidism- on L-Thyroxine
Investigations: Pelvic scan- pearl necklace appearance on ovaries, enlarged ovaries. Blood tests showed increased free estrogen.
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments. The treatment line was to carry out Panchakarma (detoxification) treatments followed by internal medications.
- Pranava Ayurveda PCOS Choorna– 1 teaspoonful with honey and rice-washed water, twice a day before meals.
- Ashokarishta – 20ml + 40ml warm water, twice a day before meals.
- Chandraprabha Vati– 2 tables with warm water, twice a day before meals
- Kanchanar Guggul– 2 tablets with warm water, twice a day before meals
- Yapana Basti- 16 days
- Abhyanga with Shirodhara- 10 days
One month after starting the treatment, her pelvic pain reduced considerably. The stress levels and anxiety became much less, sleep better, and general tiredness was almost gone.
The internal treatment was followed up for another 6 months during which her menses became regular, and much less painful and there was a marked reduction in body hair. In the blood tests and pelvic scan taken 4 months after the treatment showed estrogen levels and other biochemical markers became normal, marked reduction in cysts appearance.
The treatment also helped to lose weight by 15kg in 6 months and by another 10kg in the next 6 months.