Name of Medical Problem: Rheumatoid Arthritis
Ayurveda Term: Aamvata
Background and Description:
A 52-year-old woman came with chronic rheumatoid arthritis in the wrists and knee joints. She has been undergoing treatments with NHS rheumatologists and was prescribed Methotrexate. With she was also taking steroids and strong painkillers for occasional flare-ups. She came to us seeking an alternative and more sustainable course of action. Patient also suffered from insomnia, lack of appetite and chronic constipation.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Pain in the wrists and knees- (5/10 on VAS) usually and 9/10 during flare-ups
- No swelling or tenderness
- Deformed fingers in both hands
- Knees- no swelling, pain ++
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments.
- Mahayograj Guggul- 2 tablets twice a day after meals with Rasna Sapthak Kashaya
- Aamvatari Guggul- 2 tablets twice a day with warm water
- Kokilaksh Kashaya- 10ml twice a day after meals
- Hinguthriguna Thailam- 10ml in warm milk at night
- Dry Choorna Pinda Sweda (Ayurvedic hot bag massage) and massage with Sahachar Thailam x 10 sessions
- Local Upanaha (hot herbal paste application) on wrists and knees- 10 sessions
- Mustadi Yapana Basti- 16 days
Pain started coming down from 3rd session onwards, considerably reduced by 7th session. Movements became freer and lighter by 6th session and became normal by the end of the treatment. After the 16 day Mustadi Yapana Basti, the pain and swelling completely disappeared, patient felt a lot lighter, lost a few kilos in weight and her appetite and sleep came to normal.