Name of Medical Problem: Rosacea
Ayurveda Term: Rakta and Pitta Dushti
Background and Description:
A 50-year-old woman came to us with a chronic complaint of rosacea. She had been using regular high street skin care products as well as was treated by NHS doctors with no lasting relief.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Rosacea on both the cheeks, forehead, and under the chin
- No itching, no oozing/ discharge
- Chronic allergies, Hay fever, nasal blockages
- Insomnia +, chronic depression
- Burning sensations in the feet +, thirst, post-menopausal symptoms
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments.
- Pranava Ayurveda Pittahar Choorna: 1 teaspoonful powder with 1 teaspoon Shatavari Ghrita, 2 x times a day with
- Maha Manjishthadi Kashaya: 20ml + 60ml warm water, 2 x times a day after meals
- Sarivadyasava– 15ml + 45ml warm water, 2 x times a day after meals
- Kumkumadi Thailam– external application
- Virechana with Avipattikar Choorna- 50gm
- Nasya with Manjisthadi Thailam- 10 days
Virechana helped significantly with reducing the redness and discolouration of the skin. The spread and size of the lesions reduced a lot. Nasya helped with nasal blockages and allergies which further reduced her frequent hay fever.
The patient was followed up in the clinic for 3 months during which her symptoms were completely absent and was discharged from the clinic.