Sciatica With Pudendal Neuralgia
Name of Medical Problem: Sciatica with Pudendal Neuralgia
Ayurveda term: Kati Shoola
Background and Description
A 31-year-old young woman presented with severe pain in the lower back, groin, and pelvic area for almost a year. She also suffered from referred pain in the pelvic area.
Signs and Symptoms:
Pain: +++ (8-9/10 on VAS)
Referred pain from the pelvic area, vulvodynia, dyspareunia,? pudendal neuralgia
Movements: Restricted hip movements.
Investigations: X-ray- showed disc bulges in L4-L5 and L5-S1.
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments
- Sahacharadi Kashaya- 20ml + 40ml warm water twice a day
- Dhanwantar Gulika- 2 tablets with 10gm Dhanwantar Ghrita
- Nirgundi Ghana- 2 tablets twice a day
- Full Body Massage with Choorna Pinda Sweda (Ayurvedic hot bag massage) x 4 sessions
- Full Body Massage with Choorna Pinda Sweda + Kati Vasthi x 6 sessions
- Yoni Dhawan with Dwipanchamooladi Kashaya- 8 sessions
- Kala Basti with Dashmooladi Niruha and Sahacharadi Anuvasan- 16 days
The pain in the back was completely cured by the 10th session. The pain in the groin and pelvic area remained although reduced significantly and was completely reduced after the Yoni Dhawan and 16-day basti programme.
Complete remission by the 16-day basti programme. The patient was given a set of Yoga postures and Kegel exercises along with an internal medication to continue for further 6 months. No relapse in 3 monthly follow-ups.