Name of Medical Problem: Udvartana
Ayurveda Term: Garbhashayagat Granthi
Background and Description:
A 38 years old young woman came to see us for her chronic uterine fibroids. She has had uterine fibroids for 12 years. She had pelvic ultrasound scans that showed 6 small fibroids ranging from 4mm to 28mm in size and 2 large fibroids of about 48mm to 66mm in size along with a few intrauterine polyps. The patient had surgery for fibroids previously but developed them again. The patient was seen by NHS Gynaecologists and was advised total hysterectomy which the patient declined.
She came to us to seek natural and safe alternatives.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Consistent pelvic pain-++
- Heavy menstrual bleeding- lasting 7-8 days, up to 10 pads and with clots
- Weight- 76kg recent weight gain
- Severe low back- ++
Investigations: Pelvic scan- confirmed the presence of fibroids, uterine wall thickening, and a few ovarian cysts. Blood tests- normal
The treatment approach for this patient included a combination of internal and external treatments. The treatment line was to carry out Panchakarma (detoxification) treatments followed by internal medications.
- Pranava Ayurveda Special Fibroids Choorna– 1 teaspoonful with honey and a pinch of turmeric powder, twice a day before meals.
- Kanchanar Guggul– 2 tablets with warm water, thrice a day before meals
- Haridra Khanda– 1 teaspoonful powder with honey, twice a day after meals
- Varanadi Kashaya– 20ml + 60ml water, twice a day after meals
- Lekhana Basti– 16 days
- Udvartana – 10 days
Within 1 month of starting the treatment, the pain in the abdomen and pelvis was completely gone. Menstrual bleeding was reduced by 70% in the next monthly cycle and by another 20% in the next two months’ menses. The ultrasound done 2 months after starting the treatment showed the disappearance of the smaller fibroids, the larger fibroids were reduced to 20mm and 38mm in thickness. A moderate weight loss of 8kg was observed in the first 2 months. After 4 months of treatment, only one fibroid remained but was reduced to 12mm in size, further weight loss of,6kg and her menses became completely normal and pain-free.