Golden milk is an Ayurvedic drink that includes one of the most fashionable star ingredients, turmeric. Discover the health benefits of golden milk, and start preparing and savouring it in your own home.
If cheese tea, shikanji, or pulque tasted little to you, today we bring you another original drink that is making a gap between gastronomic trends due to its easy preparation and its multiple health benefits. We are talking about Golden milk or golden milk, an Ayurvedic drink whose main ingredients are based on milk and the popular turmeric, the essential component of curry.
Golden milk or turmeric latte is native to India, where it is called Haldi ka doodh. It is a very common drink for its exotic flavor and because it is often used to treat colds and sore throats. Another of its characteristics is that, when taken hot, it is ideal to eat at night and, in this way, helps to achieve restful sleep. Golden milk is native to India, where it is often used to treat colds and sore throats.
This Ayurveda drink has many variables, as you can add more spices such as cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg, or ginger, among many others. It can also be given a sweeter touch with honey or with agave syrup or maple syrup. Another version is suitable for vegans and is achieved by substituting milk for vegetable drinks such as almonds, walnut, oatmeal, or coconut.
Apart from turmeric, golden milk can contain honey, cinnamon, and vanilla
Many benefits have been attributed to turmeric, but also other ingredients in golden milk, such as ginger or cinnamon. All of them, united in this gold-colored drink, could provide you with the following benefits:
Curcumin – the active ingredient in turmeric – has been shown to increase levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which promotes the formation of new connections and the growth of cells in the brain. This fact reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s since having low levels of BDNF increases the risk of developing this disease
According to a study by the University of Milan (Italy). Cinnamon, for its part, could help prevent Parkinson’s; yes, for now, it has only been shown in animal studies. Another star ingredient, ginger, also has benefits for the brain, as it can improve reaction time and memory according to two Thai studies, one conducted on women, and another on rats.
The antioxidants are good weapons against cell damage and oxidative stress and could help the proper functioning of cells and thus reduce the risk of disease and infection. Turmeric, the main ingredient in Golden milk, is loaded with these antioxidants, according to a study conducted by the Memorial University of Newfoundland (Canada). The same goes for ginger, an abundant source of antioxidants, according to a study published in Natural Product Communications.
Ingredients in golden milk, such as cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger, have anti-inflammatory properties, according to various studies. This characteristic can help prevent the development of several diseases of this origin, such as metabolic syndrome, heart disease, or cancer. Curcumin has been shown to have more anti-inflammatory efficacy than ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen, according to a study published in Oncogene, and to be effective in treating uveitis, according to Indian research.
Apparently, and according to a study, taking cinnamon every day could considerably reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, while daily consumption of ginger could reduce the risk of complications in diabetic patients, as exposed in a study from the University of Tehran. Finally, the curcumin contained in the Golden latte appears to reduce the chances of having a heart attack after bypass by up to 65%, explains a Thai study.
Taking up to six grams of cinnamon each day could lower fasting blood sugar levels by up to 29%, according to a study from Thames Valley University (UK). Ginger, for its part, can reduce that amount by up to 12%, says an Iranian study. This beneficial effect is obtained as long as honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup are not added, as this adds sugars to the drink.
Curcumin has beneficial effects on people’s moods, which may reduce symptoms of depression. According to a study by the Government Medical College of India, curcumin may have similar effects to the drugs used in this affective disorder. In addition, a study from the University of Panjab (India) has analyzed the potential of this turmeric extract as an antidepressant, and although it claims that it is beneficial, it believes that more studies should be done on it.
Turmeric latte has been used by Indians for many years to treat colds and infections, and various investigations, such as one published in BioMed Research International, one in the Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials, another in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, and another in The Journal of Ethnopharmacology, have shown that the golden drink strengthens the immune system, since curcumin has antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties. Also, ginger and cinnamon can inhibit the growth of some bacteria that cause respiratory infections.
Raw ginger contains 6-gingerol, which in two studies, one from the Federal University of São Carlos (Brazil) and the other from the University of Ibadan (Nigeria), has been effective in preventing cancer, preventing uncontrolled cell growth; however, more research is needed as so far only laboratory testing has been done. Curcumin also appears to have that potential, as it is capable of killing cancer cells and preventing the growth of tumors, according to a study.
Other scientific work has shown that ginger, widely used in golden milk, can relieve dyspepsia or indigestion. Turmeric also has the property of promoting gastric emptying and, according to a study, it can improve digestion, increasing bile production by up to 62%, and, according to a publication from the University of Hamamatsu, it can also help prevent ulcerative colitis.
One of the great advantages of this drink is that it is very easy to make and its ingredients are easy to find in any store or supermarket. If you want to discover its great benefits and enjoy the taste of golden milk, prepare it in your own home with our simple recipe:
Ingredients for 2 people
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- 2 cups of milk or vegetable drink (almond, coconut, walnut, or oatmeal).
- 1 teaspoon of honey, maple syrup, or agave syrup.
- 1 coffee tablespoon of spices to taste (cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, ginger …).
Heat the milk (or vegetable drink) in a saucepan, without bringing it to a boil, to which you will have added the optional spices to taste. Lower the heat, add the teaspoon of turmeric, and stir well.
Let cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, without coming to a boil; do not overdo the cooking time or you will lose all the properties of turmeric. Serve hot. You can beat the milk a little with a whisk to give it more consistency, and decorate the cup with pure cocoa or cinnamon powder.
Contraindications of golden milk
- Although it is a drink with great properties, Golden milk has some contraindications, all of them associated with the ingredients it contains. Milk, on the other hand, can cause problems in people who are lactose intolerant, in which case they can prepare the recipe for this drink with suitable milk for them.
- Many benefits have been attributed to turmeric, but also other ingredients in golden milk, such as ginger or cinnamon
- On the other hand, we must also take into account the risks involved in the abuse of turmeric, which in excessive amounts can generate heartburn, and is contraindicated during pregnancy and in people who are being treated with anticoagulants and antiplatelets.
- Ginger, which is one of the most used optional ingredients in the preparation of golden milk, also has possible adverse effects. People should not take turmeric ginger latte if they have gastritis, stomach ulcers, or Crohn’s disease; in addition, its consumption is not recommended in pregnant women.
- Another component of this trend drink is cinnamon, which, although it does not have serious side effects, can cause drowsiness, sadness, cramps, or nasal secretions, if consumed in large quantities. Regarding pregnancy, you must be especially careful, as this spice stimulates the uterus and can cause miscarriage.
- In addition, the possible risks associated with the consumption of other spices that can be included in golden milk should be consulted, because although a cup of Golden latte will not contain large quantities, it is better to inform yourself in advance to avoid unpleasant surprises, especially if you suffer from allergies. or food intolerances.