Nasya (Nasal Detox)
Ayurvedic detox by cleansing the sinuses (open spaces in the skull).
We all know that nose and ears are openings in the skull that have connections with the brain anatomically or physiologically. There is a special kind of connection between nose to ears and nose to sinus (empty spaces) in the skull.
The word NASYA comes from the Sanskrit term ‘Nasa’ I,e Nostrils/ Nose.
Nasya is a type of panchakarma where medicated herbs are introduced into the nostrils in the form of oil drops/powder/liquids / herbal smoke, lying in a specific position with the head slightly tilted upward.
How Nasya is done:
- A warm herbal oil massage is done all over the face and neck region followed by steam to improve the blood circulation and mobilise the mucous content in the sinuses and make the nostrils patent to absorb the property of herbal oil.
- After steam, the required quantity of warm herbal oil is introduced into nostrils in a lying position with the head lifted upwards and it is sniffed inside.
- Medicated Herbal smoke to enhance the property of the herbal oil is given at the end.
Duration of Nasya: Depending upon the chronicity Nasya will give you greater benefits when done 3-to 7 sessions.
What are the benefits of Nasya?
- Nasya detoxifies the entire head region by cleansing the sinus channels, nourishing the brain tissue, and improving the nervous tissue activity in the nasal region.
- Beneficial in cervical spondylosis, neck stiffness, frozen shoulder, brachial neuritis, etc.
- Scalp conditions like dandruff, hair-fall, premature greying of hair, alopecia, etc.
- Skin disorders like hyperpigmentation, melasma, etc.
- Other conditions like headaches, migraine, sinusitis, hormonal imbalances, etc.