Psoriasis is an autoimmune, noncontagious, and chronic, inflammatory skin disease that can reoccur, manifested by plaques of thickened, scaling skin, which can be read, as flaky patches also. The dry flakes of skin scales are due to the consequences of the excessively hasty multiplication of skin cells.
It can develop in all races and both sexes and might occur in individuals of any age, from babies to seniors, generally, patients are first detected in their early adulthood years. It disturbs the quality of life of the patient because of the skin’s appearance.
Causes and Symptoms of Psoriasis
The exact cause is not clear, but it is considered that the proliferation of skin cells is due to the chemicals produced by white blood cells called lymphocytes.
Other factors that can trigger Psoriasis include:
- Genetic causes
- Poor diet
- Abnormality in permeability of the small intestine
- Trouble digesting protein
- Emotional stress and hormonal changes
- High consumption of alcohol.
- Certain medications like lithium, beta-blockers, etc.
- Vitamin D deficiency
Psoriasis commonly arise-son the elbows, legs, scalp, lower back, face, palms, and soles of the feet, but it can occur in other areas too like the fingernails, toenails, genitals, and inside the mouth.
- Plaques of red skin, at times, might be covered with a crust of silver or white scales.
- Itching and burning sensations or pain can also occur.
- Dandruff on the scalp
- Skin is cracked, discolored which easily bleeds and bruises
- Discoloration in the finger and toenails or growth of fungus in the toenails
- Detached nails from nail beds can be painful or bloody
- Emotional problems, due to embarrassment and hopeless feelings about their skin.
It has been identified that sufferers of psoriasis are more likely to have diabetes, high blood lipids, cardiovascular disease, and a variety of other inflammatory diseases. This may reflect the ability to control inflammation.
Ways to Treat Psoriasis at Home
There are home remedies that are helpful in the purification of the irritated skin and lessen itching and other symptoms – and also diminish the number of psoriasis eruptions.
Aloe-Vera gel straight from the plant or natural product available is an effective home remedy to manage psoriasis naturally. Aloe Vera when applied over the affected area, help to lessen the rashes and minimize scaling as well as reduce inflammation on the skin. It can be applied 3 times every day to reduce the lesions. Its regular usage for a longer duration will have a humongous change in the skin. When applied to skin affected, aloe Vera can be very effective in reducing redness and scaling also.
Best Essential Oils for Psoriasis
1. Castor oil
Castrol oil has beneficial effects if used on small, thick, and well-circumscribed lesions as it helps to improve the diseased skin.
It can also be used by mixing cold-pressed castor oil with 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Application of this mixture on the lesions before going to bed for a few weeks regularly will heal that area but it shouldn’t be applied over open skin.
2. Olive oil
Olive oil has an anti-inflammatory action and is high in fatty acid as well as vitamin E which provides soothing effects. Extra virgin olive oil possesses abundant moisturizing qualities, which is good for parched skin, and also facilitates in softening the dead skin, and helps in subsiding psoriasis symptoms and the affected skin.
3. Coconut oil
It is also beneficial in Psoriasis. Application of tepidly warm coconut oil to the affected areas for half an hour will hamper dryness and diminishes the chances of aggravation and this is to be done before taking shower. It is found to be one of the most useful home remedies to manage psoriasis naturally
4. Cashew Nut oil
It is also a good option. Apply cashew nut oil over the lesions and it will visibly improve the flare-ups of psoriasis, moisturize and remove the dead skin, as a result treating and making your skin smooth.
5. Fish oil
Fish oil is filled with fatty acids- Omega 3 that can curb scaly and patchy skin. Creams based on fish oil can be applied to the affected area to reduce the problem. Fish oil supplements in capsules can also be consumed regularly.
6. Aloe Vera gel and Garlic Oil
One can opt for the mixture of aloe Vera gel and garlic oil which provides great relief in psoriasis.
It has to be mixed in equal quantities, then applied over the lesions and left for at least 15 minutes and its regular use makes a lot of difference. It is also a very useful home remedy to manage psoriasis naturally.
7. Epsom Salt Bath
Another way is having a shower, in a bathtub with lukewarm water, with an added cup of milk, olive oil, or Epsom salt. This gives a soothing effect and helps to get rid of the itching and it will slowly lessen the plaques and scales on your body. Moisturize immediately after the bath, for fin results.
Diet can help up to a great extent in managing psoriasis. For that, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Eliminate fatty foods and red meat from the diet. A proper diet is the finest home remedy to manage psoriasis naturally.
- Probiotic foods —foods high in probiotics, if, involved in our diet can support digestion, reduce inflammation, and boost immunity which helps in getting rid of Psoriasis.
- High-fiber foods – include a high fiber diet in daily routine
- Vitamin A– Consume Vitamin A rich in food, which is essential for skin healing. Vitamin A is found in a heavy amount in cantaloupe, carrots, mango, tomatoes, kale, collard greens, and watermelon.
- Fish– like salmon, mackerel, herring, and sardines are tremendous sources of vitamin D as well as omega-3 fatty acids, which act in improving psoriasis.
- Exercise or Yoga and drinking plenty of water – help heal psoriasis
Things to avoid in Psoriasis are: Avoid stress, Avoid Alcohol, and Quit smoking.
Psoriasis can be extremely unbearable if deprived of proper care. Hence, keep your skin moisturized and healthy.