Women’s status was expected to reach new horizons both socially and physically with the coming of the new millennium but some of the physiological things like menstruation, pregnancy, vaginal discharge, recurrent urinary infections, and other sexually transmitted disorders trouble women making them slow down. Amongst these problems, abnormal vaginal discharge is the most common factor which creates irritation in women’s freedom.
- Leucorrhoea is a common condition faced by many women across the world, though usually, it is not a cause for serious concern, it is better to seek treatment to avoid complications.
- Leucorrhoea is white, greenish or a slightly yellow discharge from the vagina. Almost all women experience vaginal discharge, which is white and odourless, and this is a natural function of the body to maintain a healthy vagina and flush out harmful micro-organisms, but if there is any infection, the discharge changes colour.
- Leucorrhoea in pregnancy is common. It is normal in adolescent girls and may sometimes be evident in newborn girls too. It may be due to infections from bacteria, yeast, or other microorganisms. Sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhoea and chlamydia may also cause this condition.
- Common causes like the menstrual cycle, emotional stress, nutrition status, pregnancy, and uses of medication (including birth control pills and sex arousal), all causes affect the vaginal environment i.e. pH of the vagina (normal vaginal ph is between 3.8 to 4.5, within this range, it helps to keep bacterial and fungal infections at bay, lactobacilli bacteria live in the vagina and secrets lactic acid and hydrogen peroxide, which gives the vagina its acidic ph level. Vaginal ph level can change throughout a person’s life), you may notice increased wetness and clear thick discharge around the mid-cycle.
- The pH balance of the Vagina fluctuates during the cycle and is the least acidic on the days just before and during Menstruation. Infections, Therefore, are most common at this time
Common Etiological (causative) factors are…….
- Infection from Bacteria, Fungi, or Parasites like Protozoa
- Early/young age of pregnancy
- Spread of infections from urinary tract
- Inflammation of the uterus
- Injury to the vagina, the womb, or cervix
- Allergy or contact dermatitis or use of contraceptive pills
- Lack of cleanliness or poor hygienic measures especially during menses
- Diseases like PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), gonorrhoea, gout, typhoid, dm, mental anxiety, displacement of the uterus, anaemia, etc.
The most common symptoms are foul smells from vaginal discharge, but in many conditions, it’s combined with other symptoms.
- Fatigue, Breathlessness
- Stomach Cramps or Pain, Painful Menstruation, Anaemia
- Headache (Might be prolonged), Giddiness
- Constipation, Anorexia
- Pain in Calves and Lumber Region (Calves region refer to the Calf, the back portion of the lower leg)
- Itching, Malaise, Pruritus (Uncomfortable Irritating Sensation)
Types of Leucorrhoea
- Generally, there are two types of Leucorrhoea,
- Physiological Leucorrhoea
- Inflammatory Leucorrhoea
- Physiological Leucorrhoea – Common in almost every woman, and caused by the Natural Defence Mechanism of Vagina to maintain its chemical balance and preserve the flexibility of the vaginal tissue, called Physiological due to the reason that vaginal discharge occurs when estrogens levels are increased when vaginal discharge is thin, odorless, clear, mucus-like and not subsequently increased in the quantity then it is considered normal and therefore need not be worried about.
- Inflammatory Leucorrhoea – It happens due to Vaginal Swelling or Congestion inside the Vaginal Mucosa, the affected area very often gives out yellow-colored discharge with a foul smell, which indicates an infection state. This type of Leucorrhoea also includes vaginal discharge caused by the Sexually Transmitted Disease and due to post-partum discharge after delivery.
Ayurvedic Concept with Management
In Ayurveda literature, Leucorrhoea is not mentioned as a disease entity, however white vaginal discharge is quoted as a symptom in multiple gynaecological problems, sometimes this symptom is so severe that it overshadows actual disease, and women seek treatment of only this symptom.
This condition is called ‘Sweta Pradar’ described as a condition characterized by white vaginal discharge not associated with pain, burning sensation, and discomfort, thus it seems to as leucorrhoea.
- The word ‘Sweta Pradara’ has in described in Brihatrayee i.e Charak Samhita, Sushruta Samhita, Astanga Hridya, and Ashtanga Sangraha. For the white vaginal discharge, the word Sweta Prada has been described in Shrangadhara Samhita, Bhavprakash, Yoga- Ratnakar, and in commentary on Charaka Samhita by Chakrapani.
- Since ‘Sweta Pradar’ is a symptom, not a disease, hence etiopathogenesis of the principal disease will be the same as leucorrhoea, based on clinical features, it seems to be Kaphaj disorder of the female genital organ because Kapha Dosha is the main causative factor for any discharge. So it is said that Kapha is aggravated due to its vitiating factor, producing white and painless vaginal discharge due dominance of its liquid property by vitiating the Rasadhatu (Nutrient Plasma) of the reproductive system in the presence of Sweta Pradara, causing factor as excessive coitus, abortions, improper mode of life and dietetics during menstruation and Ritukala (during menstruation) along with non-cleanliness of the vagina.
- At Pranava Kerala Ayurveda Clinic, the qualified and highly experienced Ayurvedic Physicians mainly focus on the root cause of leucorrhoea by taking a medical history, mode of life, and consumption of food habits and recommend the test if necessary like cytological examination per smear, cervical punch biopsy, cervical culture, haematological investigation (Hb%, TLC, DLC, ESR, etc), serological investigation (VDRL, HIV) and Urine Examination – Routine and Microscopic.
- Ayurvedic management is mainly based on Etiopathogenesis and the above-mentioned Test once confirms the diagnosis, Restoration of Agni (Digestive Fire) to cleanse the accumulated Toxins and bring Kapha Dosha in equilibrium state because here is main vitiated dosha is Kapha Dosha, and tone up the muscle of reproductive organ with the help of rejuvenating herbs are considered the main principle of treatment through Ayurveda.
- Pranava Kerala Ayurveda Clinic provide proper screening of patient, personalized herbal medication, and therapies that make a path difference in the management of leucorrhoea. Symptomatic treatment and specific treatment like oral medications, drugs for external and local uses (cleanliness) and provide the knowledge of diet and lifestyle advice as per the disease condition. Important precaution measures should be taken as-
- Avoid Heavy, Oily, Fried, Spicy, and Sour Food.
- Tea, Coffee, Alcohol, Aerated Drinks, and Non -Vegetarian food should be avoided.
- Increase intake of Fruit, Green Vegetable and Salad
Medical Advice Disclaimer
DISCLAIMER: THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.